Thursday, August 2, 2007

Training the grandparents

Mom left me for a whole week. That's what the humans say anyway. I don't know elapsed time. I do know that I have done a great job training Granny and Grandpa.

I can sit up on my blanket and stare at Granny. She will keep trying to figure out what I want. One night I decided I was ready to go to bed and they were still in the living room. I sat up and stared - until Granny figured out to take my blanket to the bedroom so I can go to bed.

One night at 9:30 Granny wanted me to go outside. I didn't budge - so she gave up. She's finally figured out that I'm old enough to know what I need/ want to do - and have a bladder that can last until morning.

Mom gives me children's Benadryl when I have the itchies. Granny finally learned that I can take the pill myself. They've been doing the DOG thing and shoving it down my throat. Mama didn't knoww - but showed them how to do it. Hand me a Benadryl and ask me if I want a Benadryl. THAT's the trick - ASKING me if I want it.

I pretty much know what I want and what I don't. And, although I don't show a lot of emotion well-trained grandparents should be able to figure it out.

I wagged my butt when Grandpa came in one day. That tickled him. I REALLY wagged my butt when Mama came home after being gone a week. I got out my little red dog and played! I only play with my little red dog when I'm very very happy - usually right before Mama and I go home. She asks me if I want to "go feed the horses" - that way I know we are going to the farm and not the cabin. I have to go see Granny and Grandpa and get scratched and told "good-bye".

I also know when computer time is over. Mama learned this today - because she had to use G&G's computer. For some reason power cords don't work so well after they are dropped (by accident) into my water glass in the car. Mama said I almost skipped when I heard the AOL man say "Goodbye!". I was at the door waiting in just a couple of seconds!

It's a tough life - but easier because I've finally got the grandparents trained :-)

2 comments:

boxercab said...

You are such a smart girl!!!! Way to train your grandparents!

Anonymous said...

Good job Ruthie!! It's hard work training grandparents, but I see you are just the dog for the job!