Sunday, November 11, 2007

A lazy morning on the farm

The darn alarm was set so I woke up way too eary this morning.

Some cuddle time with Ru.
Some computer time and checking on how folks in California and Canada are doing.
Out to feed the horses - and I find it's cold out there. I had no idea during the night.
The pups aren't waiting on the porch. I round the corner and Mad sees me. She frolics up for a scratch, but El and ND are sniffing around Grannddaddy's bbq. El turns around - and frolics up for scratching. About 15 seconds later, ND senses her absence - and turns to see me. Three labs frolicing up with glee for morning greetings. Now, the horses see me and whinny. Total silence up till now. What a great way to start the day.

We head to the shed and the uncle has braced the door closed. All three labs are waiting to charge in to see what animals are there or what smells remain. Two charge in - Mad decides not to (as usual) and they deem it safe for me to enter and scoop the sweet feed. Grouchy kicks the wall impatiently (as usual).

I haven't even made it to the feed buckets and all three labs are off again - squirrels to chase or smells to follow.

They join back up with me for the return to the house and squeeze in between the newly delivered boxes of books for their morning biscuit. Each catches their treat - and then drop their muzzles to the floor within inches of one another to enjoy their snack. I feel like a successful pack leader. All is well with the world. Back inside a surprisingly toasty old farmhouse to stall some more before getting ready for church.

Life is good on an early Sunday morning on the farm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day Ruthie!!! :)